Elections in the United States



I was recently returning from an afternoon run when I ran into a crowd that I estimate at around 30,000 in support of the DPP candidate Frank Hsieh. As the crowd moved around the famous love river here in Kaohsiung, the loud chants of "Yes We Can" filled the air.

This blog is not meant to endorse Frank Hsieh, Ma Jin Ying-jeou or any other presidential candidate in the United States or Taiwan. But it is interesting to note the impact and interest that the U.S. presidential elections are having around the world. Personally, I find it to be an exciting time in the United States. The two democratic presidential candidates, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, as well as the soon-to-be Republican nominee, John McCain, are all very well qualified and excellent candidates. I note that I have voted for all of them (or their spouse), at one time or another during the past few years.

For the record, I voted for John McCain in the Michigan primary when I was a resident of that state in 2000, I voted for Bill Clinton in the 1992 presidential election and I voted for Barack Obama in the 2008 Washington State primary. Whoever wins the 2008 U.S. presidential elections; to me it is clear that the real winners are the American people and the world. Never have I been so proud of the American public and its wisdom in selecting its potential future leader. I grew up in a time in the U.S. when racial segregation was ruled illegal but was a daily and real part of American society (de facto). Even radio stations were segregated (i.e., white stations would not play black music and vice-versa).

Am I talking about Ancient history? Have you ever heard of Michael Jackson? While Michael Jackson was topping every music billboard chart in the 1980s, MTV refused to play his video because he was black. At that time MTV only played white music videos. After a firestorm of protests, his music videos became the first 'black' videos to play on MTV.I am proud of our nation for creating a new future and on finally becoming a country where 'E Pluribus Unum' is more than just a phrase but a daily way of life. America, JIA YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment